24 January 2012

Cooking with Cast-Offs

First a few of my friends went Paleo.  Then my sister.  Then my mom.  In a nutshell (a Paleo approved nutshell that is), Paleo = eat meat, and fruit, veg, some nuts are okay but not all, no grains, no processed foods, and no foods a caveman wouldn’t eat.  Basically going back to a hunter-gatherer diet.  Both my sister and my mom are chronicling their Paleo recipes on their blogs (check them out!).  The food looks good but I agreed with my dad when he said a caveman wouldn’t use leftover pizza as a doorstop and that he hunts in the fridge and gathers what he finds.
I love carbs.  I’m a mac and cheese girl.  I love fresh baked bread so warm the butter melts.  (Why yes I did just make some today.  From my mother’s Molasses Oatmeal recipe no less.  After I got rid of the dead mouse in my kitchen.  Story for another time.  It was as gruesome as it sounds.)  So no, I can’t go Paleo.  Here’s another reason.  My mom would have no one to foist all her non-Paleo food on if I did.  
I dropped my daughter off at Grandma’s last week for my first day back to work.  As a New Year’s resolution mom was eating Paleo and had bags of non-Paleo food (canned beans, cereal, cake mix, canned soup, crackers, etc) to get rid of.  Pushing aside the thought that my mom’s purging her ‘unhealthy’ food by giving it to her daughter, I gladly took the free food.
Not to be outdone, I decided to chronicle my own recipe.  I made dinner that night with some of the ingredients.
So here is my very un-Paleo dinner.  It was yummy.
(Recipe basics from the back of the Campbell’s Cheddar Cheese soup can.)


Cheesy Chicken Chili 
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 lb chicken cut into cubes
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green pepper, diced
1 large red pepper, diced
1 can Campbell’s Condensed Cheddar Cheese soup, plus 1/2 can of water
(I usually just measure in my hand so I’m not sure the amounts of spices)
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 can kidney beans
Farro (or other rice/grain) prepared according to package







Heat oil in skillet and cook chicken until browned.  Set aside.  Saute onion, peppers.  Stir in soup, water, spices.  Heat to a boil.  Add cooked chicken and beans.  Heat thoroughly and until chicken is cooked.  Serve over rice/grain.

The finished product.  My husband and I both really liked the Farro.  We thought it was much better than brown rice.

1 comment: